Re: [OM] Help! How do I shoot a wedding?

Subject: Re: [OM] Help! How do I shoot a wedding?
From: Benson Russell <snapper@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:53:48 +0100
Mickey Trageser wrote:

> I think Ben Russell (not a newbie) got a lot of good advice exclusive of the
emails poking fun. I'm sure he was able to approach the wedding chore with
the
> right frame of mind, a better informed outlook and a thoughtful selection of
> tools.
>
> In my opinion, Ben got what he asked for in spades, and the group as a whole
> got to embrace why we're here: to advance our photography skills and
> knowledge, and to have fun. I think we did a fine job, and I hope that Ben's
> adventure tomorrow is just as fine.

Yes, thanks everyone, I got a lot of helpful pointers and detailed advice.
I'm not a rookie when it comes to handling OM gear with available or
tungsten light, just not very confident with flash. I have just enough
organisational and people skills to carry this one off - and, as I've said,
it's not a full blown church wedding, and the couple are mature and laid
back about it.

Surprisingly, the flippant replies did undermine me a little, but not so
much the 'run for the hills' stuff, which I took to be a way of emphasising
that this is not something to undertake lightly. Some of it certainly
bordered on patronising, so thanks to Sam and Wayne for their perceptive
mails and reminders that there's room for sensitivity in this sort of
support.

So... the location is scouted, the couple wishes are duly noted, the new
SR44s are in place, the weather is good, and I'm off in a couple of hours
with a bag of gear, a tripod, monopod and step ladder.

I'll let you know how it went - even if I screw up...

thanks all,

Ben Russell