Re: [OM] advice on lens needed

Subject: Re: [OM] advice on lens needed
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:11:54 +1200
Hi Wayne & folks,

Re: the scuff mark on the front of the 100/2.8

Well, my  $0.02 on this is, although none of my lenses have scuff marks yet,

from what people who should know tell me, it will have no observable effect
on the image unless perhaps if you have direct sunlight hitting the scuff mark
- and you'd have flare then anyway.

The guy who owns my favourite photo shop (and who is a decent
photographer in his own right) told me ages ago that for years he used a lens
with a chip out of the front element, and he could never see any  defect in the
images as a result of that.

Within the last year I have seen a posting here describing professionals who
operate with perpetually dirty front lens elements and still make gorgeous
photos.

And lastly, who remembers that Zuiko 24mm shift lens that was sold in
Australia, that had been somewhat butchered and grafted onto a 6x6 body
with a lens-shutter. I seem to recall a List member in Canada bought it - was
it tOM Trottier? (I'd love to have post-sale feedback on that camera / lens
combo). The shots that the Australian vendor put on the internet ( I saved
some) that he claimed had been made with it seemed to have no defects.

That lens had a huge chunk broken out of the front element, replaced with
translucent plastic to keep dust out.

Based on the above, I'd say you are pretty safe to accept this lens and at
least run a film past it. I'd be surprised if it turns out bad; unless there's
something else as well.

I looked at the one image of the lens on the Bay and the rest of it looks fine
(the front element does too as far as one can tell from that angle)

Cheers, Brian