Re: Re:[OM] Flying in the US (film and security)

Subject: Re: Re:[OM] Flying in the US (film and security)
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:34:20 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <plp@xxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 2:56 PM
Subject: Re:[OM] Flying in the US (film and security)

> >If I opt to carry film, what are my chances of getting my film
> >hand checked at these two airports?
>
> Unlikely at any airport anymore.

Not at all true.  I've asked for and gotten hand checks at DFW, Phoenix,
Honolulu, El Paso, and Kwajalein, Republic of the Marshall Islands in recent
months with little real problem.  On only a few occasions have I been
obliged to pull out the copy of the applicable regulation that says you
"shall" receive a hand check on request (I always carry it anyway- had one
screener supervisor ask me for a copy - he said they couldn't get copies of
the regulation even when they asked for it).  Helps to smile and be
pleasant, but firm.  Talk to the airline employee at the checkpoint if the
screener has a hard time understanding English.  All of the above only
applies for domestic or US FAA supervised airports.

Gary Edwards