Re:[OM] Flying in the US (film and security)

Subject: Re:[OM] Flying in the US (film and security)
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:56:52 GMT
Cc:
>If I opt to carry film, what are my chances of getting my film
>hand checked at these two airports?

Unlikely at any airport anymore.

>My original plan was to have my film shipped from B&H (my normal
>Provia F supplier now) directly to a club member in the DC area

This is a great plan.  Follow it up by shipping your used film
by UPS/FedEx/USPS back home or directly to your processor.  Only
mail to the DC area has a chance of being irradiated.

>won't it look odd if I am bringing a Lowe-Pro Mini Trekker full
>of film gear and no film?

You are assuming that screeners actually think.

I flew internationally in June.  I carried no film going out,
as I planned to buy it there.  No one cared.  No one asked me
to open my camera either.

>How vulnerable are the smart media and compact flash cards to
>the Xray machines?

If the x-rays are powerful enough to damage memory cards, then
you will probably not live long enough to use the photos.  In
other words, normal x-rays do not damage memory cards.

Pete