Re: [OM] A Whole Bunch of Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] A Whole Bunch of Questions
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:06:51 -0600
At 09:08 PM 8/20/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>   I have been saving up a few questions over the last few weeks, and in my
> usual style, I have grouped them all up into one large message. Here goes:
>
>    * I have recently purchased 500 sheets of Kodak Professional B&W RC paper
> (for $50!![that is Canadian money too!]).  I will undoubtedly not be able to
> use this much paper within a short time span, so how do I store it?  Will
> keeping it in a fridge be best, or can it just stay at room temperature?
Fridge is fine.  Same way the pro shops do it.  Make sure they don't get
condensation or liquids spilled on the box, though.
>    * The paper I bought, and the paper we have at school, is multi-contrast.
> How and what type of filters do I use to change the grade of the paper?
> Following this, there is a red swinging filter on my(the school's) enlarger.
> I have read that this is for final composition and placement of the paper
> before exposure so that you can see the image.  I once tried exposing paper
> with the filter in place, and with a 2 min exposure and 1 min development I
> still had a faint greyish image.  Is this what this filter is for?  Is it
> okay to use regularly, will it produce any adverse effects?
The red filter is indeed for final composition with paper in place.  Even with
multi-contrast papers, normal pre-exposure times for composition should have
virtually no noticeable effect.  As for your filter questions, authoritative
answers can be had off of Kodak's website: www.kodak.com.  Follow the links.
It sounds like you've bought the Polymax paper, in which case you'll need
access to Polymax filters.  It may be that you can substitute Ilford filters as
well, but I really don't know -- but, as always, you can find authoritative
info on Ilford's site (www.ilford.com).  ;-)
>    * In case you forgot, I have an OM-1n that I bought at a camera shop in
> Toronto.  I am not sure whether or not it has a newer type battery or one of
> the older ones.  I tried to open the battery cover but the screw-driver (a
> wide one too) kept slipping.  I do not want to damage the battery cover, so
> how would I find out if my camera has a new or old battery?  I noticed there
> was a small hole on the batt. cover too, is there a special tool for taking
> it off?  I have thought about sending it in for a CLA but seeing as how it
> would cost so much I'm not sure that it would be worth it.  Is a CLA that
> important?  Should it be done?
An ordinary Canadian nickel works just fine, at least on my OM-1n.  The battery
cover turns in the usual directions: "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey."  I don't
know what the small hole on the battery cover is for (outgassing maybe?).  If
you need a PX625 for your OM, lemme know -- I've got a couple left, and I'd
ship one to you for free.  (Since we're both in Canada, I don't have to worry
'bout overzealous Customs agents seizing the battery 'cause it's got the evil,
galaxy-destroying ***MERCURY*** in it [yeah, coupla nanograms, real big
deal...]).  For the battery cover, I can also send you one of the pocket
screwdrivers I've found.  Here's a picture of it on the Lee Valley website:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page=32215&category=1,43411,43417

(If the above URL wraps, you'll have to cut-'n-paste it into your browser...)

>    * I will be going to Europe this May (14th to 25th) with my school, and as
> you can imagine I plan on taking a few pictures.  We will be flying to
> Toronto then TO to Switzerland and then by train/bus to Italy and then
> France.  I'm sure things might change from now to then, but I was wondering
> if I will really "need" or have use for any equipment other than I already
> have.  I have an OM-1n(not sure if CLAed or new batt), Zuiko 50 1.8, 28 3.5,
> 200 4, Sigma 135 2.8, 49mm #25? Red, 49mm 80B, Cable release, Lowepro Nova 2
> Bag, Vivitar 2800 Flash (more on this later), Eyecup 1  (not in my possession
> yet), hoods for the 28 and the 50, and a Velbon Sherpa 250? Tripod, plus a
> few odds and ends.  So, other than some macro tubes and a slide projector
> which I am frantically searching for (Anybody got some???), will I need or
> have use for anything else?
One phrase: "less is more."  Remember, you gotta haul that stuff with you
everywhere you go.  Last trip to France, I had a Lowe-Pro Off-Trail (wear it on
your hip -- no sore shoulders!), an OM, and three Zuikos -- 90/2.0 macro,
28/2.0 and 21/2.0.  With your selection, I'd take the 28, the 50 and a 2X
teleconverter (grab a used Vivitar macro-focusing teleconverter off of the 'Bay
-- excellent quality, good value, and as a bonus, your 50 will turn into a 100
that can take macro shots; then you don't need the macro tubes, either...).
You will *definitely* need the 28 -- cramped city streets and lots of things to
see in Europe equals wide-angle necessity.  The 28 was my most-used lens there,
with the 21 coming in second and the 90 dead last.  Probably won't take the 90
next time.

Tripods?  Nah.  Learn how to substitute -- church pew back, column side,
ANYTHING that allows you to stabilize without carrying a tripod.  Many people
on this list love tripods.  I love 'em too -- but tramping around Europe on
trains, planes and buses makes them a major pain in the posterior.  My advice
is to avoid 'em and improvise.  (As an aside, I once tried to set up a tripod
in a church in Normandy and damn near got excommunicated by the local priest,
and I'm not even Catholic.  :-) )

Filters?  A good polarizer, and (possibly) a ND filter for bright outdoor
light.  Since you're using the OM-1n, you can get away with the less-expensive
linear polarizers.  Buy a good brand -- I'm partial to Hoya multi-coats myself,
but any of the majors should do.  I took only the polarizer, but I was using 50
speed chrome film.  Got some nice stuff.  Indoors, of course, you'll have the
opposite problem -- darkness abounds.  Fast film, and a second body, if you can
snaffle one between now and then.  Bargains still exist.
>    * My Flash.  I don't like it.  Its too small for anything I want to do,
> and it has an auto-off "feature" which has ruined more than one picture.  I
> would like to get something that I could set-up off camera, possibly on a
> grip with a little more power than what is currently available.  I am trying
> to look around but there is too much for me to choose from. The next time I
> have a chance I plan on going to a bunch of second-hand stores and looking
> for something that fits my criteria. What should I be looking for?  I have no
> idea what would be good or bad.  I need help!
Simple normal auto-thyristor exposure.  Vivitar makes cheap, reasonably
powerful stuff.  So do several other brands.  I'd actually stay away from
Olympus T-series flashes if you don't have a TTL-exposure camera, 'cause they
tend to be too front-heavy and crack their shoe mounts with serious use.  If
you're ever planning on doing a light-duty studio setup with, say, umbrellas,
you need *variable power* controls.  Some of the Vivs (the 283, for example --
a real classic) have plug-in modules that allow you to "dial down" the power
output.  The Viv is cheap, too.

If you're planning on lighting up the interior of a church in Europe, forget
it.  Not only can you not carry anything that's powerful enough without
permanently wrecking your back (Hell, a couple of ganged T-45s wouldn't be able
to do justice to a typical French church interior), but taking flash photos in
these places is oftentimes frowned upon, particularly because the (brief) UV
exposure from hundreds of thousands of flashes per year can seriously fade
colours of all the ancient articles.  Use *fast* film instead.
>    * My final question:  A light meter.  I have been also wanting one of
> these, and again, searching frantically with no luck.  I will look when I go
> to the second hand stores, but in this small town I doubt i'll find anything
> that was built later than the 50's.  I want it to be able to get an exposure
> off a certain item instead of a center-weighted reading (from the 1n).  I
> would like it to double as a flash meter for future use as well.  What should
> I be looking for?  I need help again!
Yikes.  Well, more modern stuff seems to be required, if you want both spot and
flash capability.  Minolta, Sekonic are the two big names in modern meters.
Check out their websites for details and specs, and then hit used camera places
like KEH (www.keh.com), as well as (yet once again) the 'Bay.  Watch the
auctions for awhile to get a sense of pricing and offerings.  Don't rush into
anything.

That's about it.  Gotta run.

Garth