Re: [OM] A Whole Bunch of Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] A Whole Bunch of Questions
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:50:56 -0700
Hi Josh,

It sounds like you have a nice system going there.

The slot on the battery cover is designed for a coin. I forget how many Yen the coin is worth. A US nickel is almost a perfect fit. I have a little point and shoot that has a plastic key designed to fit the battery cover without marring anything. Your dealer may have something like that.

I suspect that if someone drilled a hole in the battery cover that they put a zinc air battery in it. It needs air to function. That kind of battery is not very good because of its voltage drop as it is used making for an inaccurate meter reading most of the time. It probably needs to be converted to use silver batteries or you need to get a drop in MR 9 drop in adaptor which is not cheap.

I am always in favor of a CLA, but if money is short, test the camera. Inspect the foam buried in the channels where the film back closes to make sure it is still elastic and not gummy or missing. Also check the little piece of foam next to the prism where the mirror flips up. If the foam is OK you are in good shape. If not you can order a foam kit from John Hermanson and there are instructions how to install it on his CamTech web site at :

http://zuiko.com/

He also handles the drop in battery adaptors.

Load some slide film and go out and take pictures to see whether the light meter functions. Use all the different speeds by setting up on a tripod. Starting at F16 and what ever is read by the meter. Then open the aperture and increase the speed one step at a time till you work through most of the speeds. Write down your settings for each exposure. When you get the pictures back this series should all appear to have the same exposure if the shutter speeds are on. If everything is OK I would not worry for a while.

John also has his prices for a CLA on his web site. If you need foam and a battery conversion those are things that he does as part of a CLA. It may not be much more for the whole thing. You will also be reassured that the speeds are on, everything is clean and lubricated and that the foam above the pentaprism is in good shape and not eating a hole into it.

Our Canadian listees can tell you whether there are any customs problems with sending your camera to the US for service.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. It is conceded that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced or displaced.