Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?

Subject: Re: [OM] 4000 dpi scanner recommndations?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:47:32 +0800
Tom Trottier wrote:

> See http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/canoscan4000.html
> and http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3428,a
>

> 018586,00.asp
>
> The Canon FS4000 seems to be ~half as fast and half the price of the
> Nikon Coolscan 4000 with 256MB+ of memory for the dust processing.
>
> Vuescan has batch scanning & lets you scan and edit simultaneously (vs
> Twain)
>
> tOM

I think with faster machine (my 1.8GHz P4 vs the 600MHz PIII) the
different will be more. As I remember reading somewhere (pop photo?)
the FS4000 was much slower. I just finished my first negative archival
project it was around 600 frames of negative I shot in a 1992 Europe
trip I need the fastest scanner that I can afford. Fortunately the
LS4000 here is only around $1100, while the FS4000 is around $700.

BTW, the "extremetech" link you provided above also mentioned the
LS4000 is better than FS4000 in dust removal.

Nikon scan can also work independently, you can run your photoshop and
let the scanner do the batch scanning, there is no different between
Vuescan except Vuescan is much slower due to the long post processing
time.

C.H.Ling