RE: [OM] magnification factors

Subject: RE: [OM] magnification factors
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:38:39 -0500
Yes, I see that I went the wrong way on my math, but isn't it just 1
stop open from f16 instead of a bit over f16?

I shot some great macro shots of a huge wasp this w/e with the 135, 80
and f=170.  I found this guy half dead on the sidewalk, and slipped him
in a film canister.  By the time I got home, he was quite stiff and
ready for posing on an African violet plant.  I should get the results
back at noon, but it will take a bit longer to get them scanned.  I
started the exposures at what the meter was telling me for incident,
then opened 1-2 stops (depending on magnification) in 1/3 increments.  I
can't wait!!!!

<snip>

No. As you stated it -- "a light source that produces f/16 on the
object" -- you would need a third-stop wider than f/11.

If you were using an automatic electronic flash, you would have to
either change the auto aperture to f/24, or leave it at a f/16 and open
the lens a bit wider than f/11.