Re: [OM] E-20N User's Report Long

Subject: Re: [OM] E-20N User's Report Long
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:12:33 +0800

Dave Dougherty wrote:

<snip>

> First, this is not meant to be a $1500 P & S camera.  The auto focus does
> not work well in low light or in macro mode.  I was disappointed in the
> sharpness of the photos I was getting using Autofocus.  I then began to use
> M/F in theses situations and the results are beautiful.

I found the focusing has problem on the wide end, for macro and the
tele work fine. I think it is a common problem for small ccd (short
focal length), my colleague has a Ni*on 990, she shown me some fifty
shots and half of them were focused at the back (even the object is
well centered).

> It is very important to use the Aperture Priority mode if you are shooting
> anything in Macro mode that is 3 dimensional.  The camera will almost always
> set itself to a large lens opening, ie. f2.8 or f2.2 if you use Program
> mode.  You will then have very limited depth of field if you zoom in.  As in
> using an OM system camera, common sense on the part of the operator is
> necessary.

Absolutely true, in lower light it always wide open. Even the
preferred aperture is F4, it will not reduce until over 1/640s.

> Finally, as reported everywhere, this thing really, really eats batteries.
> I like to see what I have just shot; if I look at the LCD alot, the
> batteries last for about 24 shots.  So, I am thinking about getting a LiIon
> pack for it.

1800mAH Ni-MH should be very acceptable as report by other list
members.

> On the positive side, when used to it's potential by a slow-learning
> dunderhead, the E-20 produces beautiful results.  I love being able to
> experiment and get immediate feedback.  So far I have shot 492 frames with
> it.  The cost of conventional film and processing would have been pretty
> high while I was learning with a complex film based camera.

A few months only got 492 shots is too little, I got over 2000 :-) It
is a great learning tool especially for flash photography.

> I still shoot with my OM-1 and OM-2 and I will continue to do so.  The E-20
> is very intuitive vis a vis the OMs and I find that switching back and forth
> is relatively easy.

I cool down after half year's use and now the E-10 is only for
shooting photos for FS :-) Ok, not really, I just used it to shoot my
young son's primary school graduation and the results are very fine!
But I have to admit I rare use it for my own works, it is still the
job of OM.

C.H.Ling