Re: [OM] E-20N User's Report Long

Subject: Re: [OM] E-20N User's Report Long
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 22:09:19 +0100
On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:29:36 -0400, "Tom Scales"
<tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Dave,
>
>I concur with all your observations. I find myself manually focusing often,
>but it is pretty simple --- a real focusing ring!  The macro mode is much
>better than I expected.  The only place I am not having the same experience
>is battery life.  I don't use the LCD except to review the results (don't
>leave it on), but I get a LOT more shots.  Are you using decent NiMH?  I use
>the 1800s and they work great.
>
>For those that thing digital involves a little P&S, this is truly digital at
>a different level.

I agree.  This camera amazes me, even as a diehard medium format
(Bronica) as well as OM user since 1976!

I find the focus ring a little disappointing - there is no manual feel
for "where is infinity?" and, indeed, my E-10 will actually focus
beyond infinity. I too have found NiMH battery life short if I use the
LCD screen to review results too much (I don't leave it on while
shooting).  To conserve battery life I set the "sleep time" at 5
minutes but it's a PITA when you see a shot, the camera has gone to
sleep and it takes around 3 seconds to wake up. Too late!

It needs a battery check button really, rather than just show the icon
for a few seconds after switching on.

It's also paranoid about wanting to use flash - the wretched icon
binks away when the flash is obviously not needed. I just ignore it!

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)