[OM] Wedding Wallowings

Subject: [OM] Wedding Wallowings
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 23:51:04 -0500
It's been a long day, a very long day, much longer than originally anticipated, doing the "wedding wallow."

Started out like many other days. Nice blue sky, warm but not hot for August. Starts out well, then the best laid plans of mice and men go awry. A friend of mine owns a studio, and like most studio photographers he shoots weddings also. Today though, he has three weddings booked. His wife will cover one of them. The other two, about 50 miles east-north-east of where I live, are too close in timing. He will have time to cover pre-ceremony and altar returns at one, but cannot cover the reception. He needs to cover the pre-ceremony and *all* the "formals" of the next wedding *before* the ceremony begins.

Asks me if I'll cover the reception for the first wedding. No problem. I've done things like this several times before both solo and when double-coverage of two photographers is desired.

The Plan:
(a) Up at 6:30 AM. Down a couple large cups of java, consume a bread roll, and make a full 1/2-gallon thermos of more java for later in the day. (b) Leave at 7:45 AM and drive 60 miles south to a large camera store in Indianapolis. Mission: get some odds and ends when they open at 9:00 AM. Need the stuff, but none of it is essential for the wedding. (c) Leave the camera store no later than 9:45 AM. Drive 75 miles north to a church about 50 miles east north-east of my home. Arrive there about 11:30 AM (d) Play gaffer, grip and best boy helping set up lights and tearing them down after the altar returns.
(e)  Travel on to reception and shoot all the reception events.
(f)  Drop film and a couple other things off with his wife at his home studio.

Everything goes fine until about 12:30 PM, and hour before the first wedding is supposed to begin. We've got the groom's shots done (somehow, if the men are timely in getting to the church, they're ready in no-time). The bride isn't ready yet. Cannot do any pre-ceremony shots with her yet. Finally that gets started about 15 minutes late. 1:00 PM, and we have to dismantle the lights for the ceremony, but haven't gotten as much done as we should have. It will have to wait until the altar returns. 1:30 PM, and wedding si supposed to begin, but stragglers are still floating in and minister, bride and groom decide to go into a holding pattern for about 10 minutes. 1:45 PM, the processional is complete, but wait, before the bride's father gives here away there are two soloists with songs to sing. Hmmm, this wedding will be longer than normal. 2:15 PM, and now they're having communion (done at some, but not most weddings). Gonna be even longer.

My friend, now realizing there is a very real problem, comes up with a plan "B". Instead of the plan A" which was simply picking up the reception, I'll take half the lights to the next wedding and start shooting the pre-ceremony formals there. He'll catch up with me, and I'll immediately depart to the reception for the first wedding. Should be able to get there within a few minutes of the bride and groom. OK, mentally shifting gears. Wasn't configured to shoot formals; the M645 is sitting at home along with a 5-pack of 220 Portra 160 for it. Also sitting at home are lights, stands, umbrellas and flash meter. Not enough time for a 100-mile round trip on state highways either. But, I have a second OM body and with half his lighting I can configure it for using studio lights without breaking down the other one from the flash bracket. Unfortunately, I cannot get to the lights until about half the church has emptied out. To speed up the altar returns, we left them on the stands, telescoped them and folded the umbrellas up, then tucked them away along the faux buttresses on the side aisles. He gives me a quick crib-sheet of the formal set-ups. Each photog has their own style for this.

2:45 PM, and the wedding has finally cleared out enough I can get to the lights. Two trips to the car later with lights, stands an umbrellas tucked under my arm, and I'm off. 3:00 PM, and I arrive at church #2, quickly set up the lights and start shooting the "getting ready" shots with the groom and groomsmen. 3:20 PM, check on bride and her attendants; nope they're not ready enough and won't let me in their room. I'm suspecting there's a problem with her dress and some eleventh-hour alterations are being made (based on overheard conversation just outside the door). Back to groomsmen. Mind you, I've never met any of these people before, so I don't even know which one is the best man yet. Find one of the best men (there's two of them; their wedding, who am I to try to understand it all "on the fly"). Ask him to round up all the groomsmen and herd them into the sanctuary so at least we can start on the groomsmen formals. There's a lot of them; it's like herding cats. 3:30 PM, start shooting the groom portraits and groupings with his best men (bride and bridesmaids still not ready). 3:45 PM and partway into groupings of groom with groomsmen, and my friend shows up. Quickly get the rest of the lighting up and he takes over shooting. I pack up the extra body and bolt for the door to get to the reception (bride still wasn't ready when I left).

4:00 PM, I get to the reception from the first wedding about 5 minutes after the bride and groom got there. OK, no entrance, but that's a tough one to get anyway. Next surprise. It's at the National Guard Armory; on the 2nd floor which resembles a large basketball court (indeed, it really is used for that part-time.) Nice environment. NO AIR CONDITIONING! Yep, just like a greenhouse. 20 foot vaulted ceiling with nothing but windows on both the east and west long sides of the building, starting at about 10 feet up, and with no way to cover them. If 95 degrees inside this building weren't enough, there's bright direct sun streaming through the west side, complete with the thin, harsh shadows of all the square window frames. I'm using a higher power Metz with an SCA-321 under TTL control with an OM-4. It's so bright I have to stop down to f/16 to get the the shutter speed down enough flash to fire (don't want pure ambient light; it's too "weird" with the combo of gym lights and daylight).

Ditch the tie, unbutton collar, roll up sleeves, and fortunately, I also have a golf towel. I tuck a corner under my belt in back so I can wipe the sweat off every couple of minutes. Hard to see through a sweaty viewfinder. It's so hot inside this building, the table candles are too soft to use, and the cake was set up just after the bride and groom arrived to keep it from "wilting." People are not going to hang around long. Because of this, the bride and groom keep changing the sequence of the "marquis" events, making it difficult to keep up with what's happening next. I keep conferring with the "DJ" and make a couple of suggestions to her.

4:45 PM, things have settled down and I've managed to stand directly in front of a giant floor fan for a minute or so during a few dead spots. The lighting is driving me crazy though. If the daylight streaming in through enormous windows isn't bad enough, the windows on the east side are also huge hot spots. Oh, and the walls? They're glazed cinder block to about five feet up with glazed tile up to the windows. Nice! Gotta keep from shooting into that head on too. Only things worse to shoot into are windows and mirrors. It was a nightmare looking for camera angles, and a lot of it was settling for the lesser of several evils to include clutter on and along the walls.

6:00 PM, I've burned two rolls of film for wedding #1 getting the major reception activities, and another roll with the pre-wedding stuff at wedding #2. Headed for home. 7:00 PM, the car is unloaded, it's Miller Time at the F-Stop, and am I ever glad it's over. It was the most hectic wedding shooting I've done. Unlike Ag Schnozz, who was able to wake up from his recent nightmare, this one wasn't a dream.

Token OM Content:
Used the OM-4 with Winder 2 and a Metz flash head with bounce card for the reception. Used the OM-1n for starting the formals at wedding #2. Unlike cakes and candles, and this photographer they don't wilt, which I was starting to do by the end.

Epilogue:
Got points for bringing home to the better half some lint-free gloves specifically made for handling negatives. I had forgotten them on the last trek to Indianapolis two weeks ago and still hadn't heard the end of it, until I showed up with them tonight.

-- John
P.S.
Never been to the F-Stop? It's where all *real* photographers go to unwind and tell their "war stories" after a hard day of shooting.