Re: [OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses)

Subject: Re: [OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses)
From: Charles Sdunek <csdunek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 21:20:54 -0400
I dont know for sure, but by the smell of it, the Kodak lens cleaning fluid contains ammonia. I've used it my whole life with no adverse effects.

Charles

At 07:03 PM 8/6/02, you wrote:
Winsor asked:
I realize that the coatings and lenses are different for eyeglasses,
but ammonia is supposed to strip non-reflective coats right off.
Windex has ammonia.  Do your outside surfaces still have their
coatings?
-----------------------
I've heard this too but I don't know where it comes from... maybe from
people selling expensive lens cleaning solutions.  Personally, I've been
using Windex with ammonia to clean my lenses for the past several years
after reading about it in Thomas Tomosy's camera repair books.  It's
very cheap and cleans more easily and completely than alchohol or Kodak
lens cleaner which I used for many years.  All of my lenses still have
all of their coatings as far as I can tell.  Those red and purple SC
Zuikos are still reflecting red and purple and the green MC lenses are
still showing green.

Chuck Norcutt