Re:AW: [OM] polarizing filter and wide angle lenses?

Subject: Re:AW: [OM] polarizing filter and wide angle lenses?
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 18:59:36 GMT
Cc:
>I would guess it's a special coating but can anyone tell if
>the difference between standard and PMC filters is worth the
>extra money?

I have two stories. When multi-coatings first became available
for eyeglasses, I was surprised that it made such a difference.
If the glasses were clean, the reflections were nil. The down-
side is that, if the glasses are not perfectly clean, the dirt/
fingerprints really show. And I do not think it was just my
imagination that I could see just a little more light with multi-
coated lenses.

I recently saw a chart on the Internet but I cannot find it
right now. It was from either B+W or Heliopan and showed the
difference in light transmission between single-coated and multi-
coated lenses. Single-coated lenses transmitted light in the low
90s%, something like 91-93%. Multi-coated lenses transmitted light
in the high 90s%, something like 97-99%. So the difference is 5%
or so.

All of my UV filters are multi-coated (SH-PMC) Heliopan.  Here in
the USA, some Heliopan filters are difficult to find, like their
slim circular polarizer. Dealers do not always stock the multi-
coated versions.

Pete