[OM] Digital to Print (was Compare and critique please)

Subject: [OM] Digital to Print (was Compare and critique please)
From: "mike m." <mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 12:49:39 +0000

Mike Veglia wrote:

> Guilty as charged, almost ;-) I sell 8x10 "digital-to-photographic" prints
> (prints from internet labs) for $12.00, but my custom enlargements are
> indeed up in that $20-25 range. Given that all I have to do is upload a file
> to an internet lab and they ship direct to the customer

I'd like to comment on the quality of the digital-to-photo prints that
Mike sells.

I recently ordered two prints from Mike and I believe I got the first
Provia-to-SprintScan4000-to-print that he offered. Mike,correct me if
I'm wrong.
The other was an E10-to-print, both from the same digital lab service.

My first impression of the 11x14 prints was just amazement at the amount
of fine detail in both the photos. Most of this can be attributed to the
talent of the photographer. The prints are absolutely stunning and I've
been over both prints with a magnifying glass. I can find no difference
in quality between the slide scan and the file from the E-10. If I
remember correctly they are printed on Fuji Crystal paper.

Mike, I don't know what you normally charge for those prints(we did some
horse trading) but if it's less than $25 I think that's a little cheap
for a print of that quality and size. JMHO.

The prints are being matted and framed and I've cleaned out a spot on my
office wall to display them. I get a lot of race fans in here so you
might see a little increase in business soon. :>)

later,
mike m.