[OM] Multi-coating

Subject: [OM] Multi-coating
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:39:33 -0700
 >I would guess it's a special coating but can anyone tell if
the difference between standard and PMC filters is worth the
 >extra money?

-snip

 It was from either B+W or Heliopan and showed the
difference in light transmission between single-coated and multi-
coated lenses. Single-coated lenses transmitted light in the low
90s%, something like 91-93%. Multi-coated lenses transmitted light
in the high 90s%, something like 97-99%. So the difference is 5%
or so.

-snip

Pete

I think your eyeglass experience is the key, except that your are
comparing completely uncoated glasses with coated ones.  There are
small but significant differences in the amount of light reflected
when comparing single and multi-coating. Unless you get a 20 element
zoom lens the difference in light transmitted is not so important.
What is important is what happens to the light that is reflected. It
tends to bounce around inside the lens lowering contrast.  The more
light reflected by the coating and the more elements the worse it is,
everything else being equal.  Putting on a filter adds another pair
of surfaces to the mix.  When you look at the lens elements that are
already there the filter even single coated probably does not add
much to the total scattering of light - unless you have a strong
light source in the frame. Then I think you would definitely want a
multi-coated filter.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California