Re: [OM] Compare and critique please( Semi long Idiot Rant)

Subject: Re: [OM] Compare and critique please( Semi long Idiot Rant)
From: "mike m." <mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 17:42:23 -0400
Daryl,
I looked over the photos and to me they are as good if not better than the pro's. I especially like the panning shots, much more snap to them. I'd keep in touch with the media director at the track and you may have the job next year.

After reading this thread, I thought I'd share an experience I had with the local asphalt track "pro" a few weeks ago. I've known this guy casually for about 5 or 6 years. We work at a volunteer event for a week or so, once a year, but that's about it. He has an OM-2n and a couple of cheap lenses mostly Sears and JC Penny brand and he started hanging around the track right after they built it and took some pictures of the cars for the drivers and owners. Last year after looking over some of his prints,he asked my advice on what he might do to improve his night shots. The fastest lens he had was a Sears 135 f3.5 and that is what he used for his action shots. I loaned him one of my Tamron 80-200 f2.8's and told him to try the faster lens and explained panning with the cars to give them a sense of motion. He was happy with the info and went on his way. One year later. Haven't heard a word from the guy. I show up at the first meeting before our annual volunteer event and lo and behold there he is. He walks over and apologizes for keeping the lens all year, then proceeds to tell me he'll bring it tomorrow because he doesn't need it anymore. He's gone digital...Nik*n D1x...80-200 f2.8 autofocus...35-80 f2.8 autofocus...dedicated flash...laptop to process images...total cost $13,000. I was floored. Said the track had given him photo access and he was selling 8x10 prints for $7.00 apiece.I asked him how many he had sold and he said 10 or 12 in the last 3 weeks. The next day he brings the lens back and as we are walking to my truck, starts telling me he is waiting for Metz to come out with a D1x module so he can buy the new Metz 50MZ flash to get better pictures at night. The Nik*n flash didn't work to good in auto mode. According to him, the cars were almost always washed out and over exposed. He couldn't understand why, because the flash was supposed to automatically expose the shot. Yet everyone one of his was overexposed. He thought the Metz and the dedicated module would fix the problem. I said Phil...did you try setting the flash to manual instead of automatic so the camera doesn't try to expose the dark sky in the background? Blank stare. What's the GN of the flash? Blank stare followed by...what? The guide number of the flash, Phil. Again, blank stare, then...I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. I explain GN to him,but he looks confused. Then I say if you think you need more flash why don't you get a CT-60 or a Vivitar 285 and just use a sync cable and shoot manually. Again blank stare followed by if I do that will I still need the Metz module? That's when I realized this idiot had spent $13,000 on camera gear to sell $7 prints and he didn't even know what a Guide Number or sync connector was. He didn't know the sync speed of the D1x. If it wasn't fully automatic he didn't know what to do. I guess he thought if he bought all that gear, his pictures would all be perfectly exposed and he would be transformed into a SI photographer overnight. That afternoon he went to the top of my idiot list. Oh yea... the reason he sells his prints for $7. The other photographer at the track shoots film and sells his 8x10's for $10 each. His plan is to undercut the guy and take all the business at the track because digital is cheaper and better. Good Luck!

later,
mike m.