Re: [OM] Compare and critique please

Subject: Re: [OM] Compare and critique please
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:47:18 -0700
In a message dated 7/31/2002 Daryl Hurley writes:

<< In answer to some of your questions and comments, the "pro" is shooting
with
a  Nikon Wonderbrick, AF 70-210, and Metz 60CT4, with everything set on
automatic.  ... >>

Now, how did I know that? ;-)

<< Most of what the media director posted from my shots were taken with the
OM2n, MD2, and 85f2 and 100/2.8.  She seems to like the shots with more than
one car in them, and anything longer than 100mm gets awfully tight when
panning multiple cars from 40 feet.  I also use the 135/2.8 and 180/2.8 to
get the singles.  Those weren't the shots she selected, but they are what
sells to the drivers and I have sold a good number of 8x12's to the drivers
and sponsors on my two weekends, with several more orders pending.  (I am
only allowed to sell photos from the weekends the pro is not there, he has
an otherwise exclusive contract with the track to be the only one allowed to
sell photo's at the track.) >>

Obviously, you can tell I am way out of my element making any suggestions on
night time short track shooting--since it is something I have never done.
That said, if you land this I might suggest a fast zoom such as a Tamron or
Tokina 80-200/2.8. Apparently that covers most of the focal length. As
digital continues to evolve, you'll want to start going there as well I
think--lower your costs (no film and processing) and reduce your time to get
results to the track media director, drivers, teams, etc. A friend here in
Santa Cruz shoots a fair number of CA dirt tracks and she insists that
digital "is not there yet" for the night time motor sports work, and from
what I have seen, she's right.

<< He is using flash to stop the action on everything.  I tried using flash,
but I feel it stops too much action and it makes the background go black.  I
actually get sharper photos and cleaner backgrounds without it, even though
my exposures are longer, usually in the 1/8 to 1/15 range.  Now the only
time I use the flash is in victory lane and it is on manual, you know guide
numbers, that stuff.  I must be a control freak? >>

That explains why your pans are so nice in comparison. I'll also commend
your panning skills for getting such nice results with such low shutter
speeds (what choice is there, you don't have much light after all).

<< I also shot some flat track motorcycle racers recently, hope to find a
place
to get those photos posted soon. >>

Love to see them.

Good luck with the media director. Sounds like she favors your work and that
will go a long way in your favor--I hope. Also, great to see you getting
great results with our "antique" camera system we all know and love here on
this list. In my view, your results reflect a "Pro" more than using an
expensive wunderbrick system as a point and shoot.--anyone can do that with
some practice. The truly great ones do make beautiful photographs with
wunderbricks, but they are not using them with a P&S frame of mind.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com