Re: [OM] [OT] Flat bed scanner question, aerial image

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Flat bed scanner question, aerial image
From: "Daan Kalmeijer" <daan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:49:05 +0200
>  I can't think offhand of any uses of aerial images in photography. After
> all, photography is about forming real images on photosensitive objects.
> They are a core part of telescope and microscope design where the
> objective forms an aerial image which is then magnified by the eyepiece.

It is possible to use an aerial image to focus both on something close-up
and far away. I think some behind the scene-programme of a (BBC?) wildlife
TV programme showed this. You project an airial image of the background in
the plane of a small subject (from the back) and take images of it from the
front. You actually need two aerial images (or, two back-to-back lenses with
an image inbetween) to prevent having a upside-down background.

Here goes asci art:

Background        Lens 1   Lens 2  Subject  Lens 3  Film
X                 |    X   |       X        |       S
X                 |    X   |       S        |       X
                  Aerial      Aerial           Image of
                  image 1     image 2          subject and
                  Upside down                  background
                                               Upside down

I tried it once. Very clumsy setup and the results were not that good (but
it does work).

Daan

Pictures of insects at:
www.kalmeijer.net