Re: [OM] [OT] Flat bed scanner question

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Flat bed scanner question
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:35:45 -0700
The beam of light from a slide projector does not form an 'aerial' image. When it intersects something solid, it forms a 'real' image. An aerial image 'sits' in the air without being formed 'on' something. I can't think offhand of any uses of aerial images in photography. After all, photography is about forming real images on photosensitive objects. They are a core part of telescope and microscope design where the objective forms an aerial image which is then magnified by the eyepiece.

A scanner with the light off or removed could likely scan an aerial image, but the size of lens and aparatus and the brightness of the object being imaged required to form an aerial image of sufficient size and brightness would be outrageous.

Take a look at a high school (or college survey course) physics text to learn about aerial images. We used to play with this stuff in high school with 'optical benches' made of meter sticks with simple metal holders for candles and lenses.

Moose

Marten Beels wrote:

Could a flat bed scanner focus on an airial image?
Yes

If I disabled the lamp on a flatbed scanner and then
focused an image from a slide projector at the plane
of the scanner's glass would the scanner be able to
focus on and capture the image?
No

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA