Re: [OM] Further thoughts on technology

Subject: Re: [OM] Further thoughts on technology
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:21:53 -0500
At 01:07 PM 7/25/2002 +0100, you wrote:
It's a disease!   P.S. do you really UNDERSTAND all of the modes
available on wonderbricks or do they confuse you as much as they confuse me?
regards John Duggan, Wales, UK.

One of my Hawaii cousins is an avid street photographer and has owned and sold off more brands and systems than I have lenses. I think his current favorite is a Minox, but his wife gave him an EOS something or other and he just shoots it in auto-everything mode -- can't be bothered to figure out actually how to control an exposure with it.

I think what one does is decide how one wants to shoot the thing -- for example, aperture priority mode as opposed to program (thinking in OMPC terms) -- learn to program it to do that and then not bother with the rest of it until you decide you want to try something else. My brother uses his Maxxum in precisely this way. Except for autofocus (usually turned off to make the actual shot in hyperfocal distance) and some programming for how he wants to control bracketing, he shoots his brick exactly the way I shoot an OM-2S. He bought into autofocus because of encroaching presbymyopia (sp?) and if I had to work with as dim a viewfinder as he, I'd need autofocus too. Long live the 2 series screen!

Joel W.