RE: [OM] Further thoughts on technology

Subject: RE: [OM] Further thoughts on technology
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:04:46 -0700 (PDT)
"It's the Photographer - not the Technology!"

How many times have we used that defense for backing up our
choice in less than current equipment?  Although true that the
"latest greatest" in automation won't make us better
photographers, neither will a blind trust in our "skills".

We are so prideful of our well-honed abilities to twist an
aperture ring, yet we fail to acknowledge our inability to
select the correct ISO setting 1000f the time.

- I've screwed up the focus on more shots than an autofocus
camera would have done,

- I've messed up the ISO setting on innumerable rolls of film,

- I've mistakenly left the camera in two slow of an exposure,
blowing what would have been a properly exposed hand-held
picture,

- My thumb is able to advance the film only so fast,

- I've missed many pictures while rewinding, changing and
threading film.

Shall I go on?

The fact is, I can always shoot these latest/greatest
wonderbricks in manual exposure mode, but I could never shoot an
OM-1 in anything but manual mode.

We are using the equivelent of a 1973 Volkswagon Beatle.  You
might be able to still drive it to the store, but I wouldn't
recommend it for a New York City Yellow Cab.

"It's the Photographer - not the Technology" is true.  However,
failure to properly accept technology is as much of a mistake as
relying on it too much.

AG-Schnozz