[OM] I Passed! [Was Need Help on my Final!]

Subject: [OM] I Passed! [Was Need Help on my Final!]
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:51:23 -0700
Hi Zuiks:

First, thanks to everyone who responded to my original inquiry,
regarding the $1,000 Nikon system.

A little background:  the class was taught through the University of
Idaho's enrichment program, so there was no "grade" anyway.  The class
consisted entirely of students and members of the community that are
interested in being better photographers.  UI apparently no longer
offers a BFA degree in photography, so no one will graduate, and become
a professional because of this program.  IN fact, the UI has ripped out
all of their B&W darkrooms, in the name of "progress". <sigh>

The student's equipment was a hodge-podge collection of what could be be
classified as charitably as "old stuff".  I noticed a Nikon F, a couple
of Pentaxes, an OM-1, a Miranda, a Minolta, some point and shoots, etc.
Interestingly, no one had an auto-focus camera.

The instructor is a Nikon user, but was not a "Nazi" about it.  Most of
his shots were taken with a Nikonos, since he was primarily interested
in beach and surfing photography.  I think he would recommend Nikon for
all of the reasons discussed, but primarily for the depth of the system,
and the level of Company support.  His approach was to try and get us to
do the most we had with the gear we already owned, and not blame the
equipment for your own shortcomings.

Now to the matter of my original question to the group.  It was a lie.
A lie designed to make you jump up out of the hammock, throw down you
summer reading and blast off a response lie.  A finely crafted lie.
Okay, not a BMW M3 blasting down the Autobahn level of lie, but
certainly a Toyota Camry level of lie.

Please note the key ingredients. The Nikon recommendation.  The refusal
to recommend Olympus.  The omission of a wide-angle lens from the
bare-bone kit.  The refusal to acknowledge digital's place in the
world.  The cunning use of Asterisks.

The REAL question was "We live in a rural area that has little access to
photographic resources.  Please explain or demonstrate how you can use
the Internet as a tool to overcome this limitation, and help you to be a
better photographer."

My answer was:

<drum roll>

The Olympus OM User's List!

<Applause!>

The class really enjoyed the variety of thoughtful answers to my
(admittedly) dumb-ass question.  They saw the value in being a
participant (or lurker)  in a group where almost everyone is a more
dedicated and better photographer than him/herself.

So, thanks again for coming with me to class for "Show and Tell".  You
have once again shown yourselves to be everyday heroes, and (hopefully)
good sports!

Bill Stanke

P.S.  The class also wondered about the term "Zuikoholic".
Specifically, they wanted to know:

1.  Is the condition transmitted by casual contact?
2.  Are there meetings?
3.  If there are meetings, is beer served?