AW: [OM] Need help on my final! - the way we learned

Subject: AW: [OM] Need help on my final! - the way we learned
From: jochen.schiffler@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jochen Schiffler)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 10:08:23 +0200
>I know we like to hearken back to the way we learned, but isn't it a
>bit like telling someone to buy an old car with carburetors and bad
>brakes because that is what most of us had?

IMO this is like D*S and WIND*WS (if you can understand this kinda geeky
comparison). It depends on what you want to achieve. If the 'young person'
already knows about exposure and fstops and the basic stuff it's a different
thing and I would also go straight for C*non or N*kon.
Otherwise it helped me a lot to learn how stuff works when I was typing the
commands 'manually' in D*S. If I had started out with WIND*WS (say 9* or so)
I had used only buttons and pictures. It does pretty much the same thing but
so abstractly that I would probably lack the background knowledge. There is
a slight difference in turning the aperture ring yourself or entering the
aperture through a jog dial while watching a display.

Just my $0.02.

Jochen