Re: [OM] Demise of Film

Subject: Re: [OM] Demise of Film
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 13:47:05 -0500
At 12:55 7/14/02, you wrote:
I think the "news" people are running to digital in numbers because of it's instant for-print access and quick transmission. I think it is inevitable for anyone getting into that game to plan on using digital.

I have come across some regular magazine publishers though that seem to prefer digital too. They will take slide or print too; but they obviously have been hooked with this plug-it-in instant access and input from start to finish.

It is well suited to their requirements. How much image resolution is required for newspaper newsprint photographs? It's relatively low compared to a photographic print.

The one aspect not touched upon is battery consumption. The digitals are battery hogs, even the "consumer" ones. Even more so are the high end ones used for photojournalism, are battery hogs (surprised Mike Veglia hasn't mentioned this). IMHO the demand for "AA" cells to power consumer digitals has driven their capacity technology more than any other size. A friend bought some Lithium "AA" cells by accident and gave them to me. Looked up their specs: 2900 mAh. Put them in my Winder 2. Higher powered flash users are now benefiting from this. I'm now using 1600 and 1700 mAh "AA" NiMH cells in flash units and know there are 2000 mAh available. The originals I bought were 1200 mAh, and still twice that of the standard 600 mAh NiCad. Seeing this I was tempted to get some NiMH "C" cells for the flash handles (Metz G15 and G16, and BG-2). The "C" cells I found are still 2200 mAh. The cost/benefit and capacity gain for increased size/weight isn't there (yet??).

Saw a local newspaper photographer a few weeks ago shooting the same outdoor, daytime event I was. He was wearing a large "slab" around his waist but it wasn't for a mondo flash, it was powering his digital SLR. Many wedding photogs wear these slabs to power mondo flash heads with GN's in the 150-200 range (ISO 100; feet). It prevents having to change batteries every other film roll. (The HV ones also greatly reduce recycle time.) It's hard for me to imagine wanting to wear two of them, one for a flash and the other for a camera! Looked at what I was carrying, even with a Winder 2, then what he was hauling around, and was thankful I was running with film!

-- John