Re: [OM] Query re OM10

Subject: Re: [OM] Query re OM10
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:49:26 -0500
The OM-10 was perhaps the most popular OM camera Olympus made -- until
they began to malfunction in droves after one or two years.  (Back then,
OM's in the US had a three year warranty, so when they did, we worked on
them for free at Olympus.  That's probably the major reason Olympus
America dropped the three year warranty.)  Consequently, there are lots
of "dead" OM-10's around -- parts are not a problem, but they are seldom
needed.

A significant number of OM-10's developed "sticky magnet syndrome" --
enough to devastate it's reputation and blacken Olympus America's eye.
Otherwise it's an exceptional design -- but that's an unavoidable
"otherwise".  I would assume EVERY OM-10 you see has erratic exposures
due to this malady unless proven otherwise.

Get a guarantee or warranty before buying one and check it immediately
upon receipt -- leave the camera wound for at least 24 hours or more,
then fire the shutter on "Auto" mode without a lens in bright light.
Listen carefully to the first shot -- it should not hesitate.  If you
the mirror hesitates (ta-click) or the shutter hesitates (click-click),
you've got a sticky magnet (one for the mirror, another for the
shutter).  If there's any doubt, wind and fire the camera again and
compare to what you heard the first shot -- the hesitation will usually
improve or disappear the second, third, fourth, etc., shots.

A few OM-G's also developed this problem, but not near as many as the
OM-10's.  Fewer still OM-2n's have done this as well, but it's
relatively rare.  Still, we check for it on just about every 10, G and
2n.  (This isn't just an "Olympus" thing -- the only "paid" C*n*n AE-1 I
worked on had a "sticky magnet", too!)