Re: [OM] - OM4Ti Black vs. Champagne

Subject: Re: [OM] - OM4Ti Black vs. Champagne
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 17:30:05 +0200 (CEST)
On 8 Jul 2002 flowerside@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >Hi Fabio - and welcome. Very good to have you among us.
>
> Hi, Thomas!
>
> >Sorry, you are neither an Olympus-addict nor a zuikoholic. This may
> >clinically be proven by the phrase "wondering whether" and "change my
> >OM2SP".
>
> Wow! Lucky me! I thought I was doomed!!!

Ohh, you are. You are infected, but have just not developed the disease
yet. It will come, it will come...:)

Fortunately, this is the right place to be...at least we kinda understand
eachother :)

> >A true zuikoholic would not be "wondering whether to change my OM2SP". He
> >wold be sure....sure, that is, that he needs both an OM2SP and another  OM
> >body...and another...and another....and another....:)
>
> I'm on my way to be like that! I was thinking to get rid of the OM2SP
> to buy a OM1 (together with the OM4Ti), but maybe I'll keep that one
> too! ;^)

Okie, look....! The OM2sp is the best camera ever made. There is
absolutely no justification for getting rid of it - of course except if
that would be through selling it to me for an outrageously low price :)

Seriously, the OM2sp is my favourite. I'd much rather pick one of my 2sp's
up that I would one of the 4.....

> >However you are welcome on the list - we will do our best to "convert" you
> >into a true zuikoholic...:) You show a promising start, I'd say :)
>
> OK. I'm ready!
>
> >No, seriously now...
>
> >IMO, that is too expensive. I live in Paris, France, where I just recently
> >saw an OM4Ti, also champagne, for about the same price. However this was
> >mint, with boxes and two lenses (forgot which - probably it was 50/1.4 and
> >a 35/2.8 or something) and 6 months warranty.
>
> Ehm... Don't you know if that shop sells that 4T online? That sounds
> interesting...

I know that they don't, although I can pass by and ask if they do
e.g. want to ship to Italy if you can work out payments etc.  I can
probably do so this week...

> >I am not aware of the normal prices of the OM4Ti's, however compared to
> >the camera I saw, the price you quote is "in the high end".
>
> Not that high, it seems (see my other msg: I saw asking 1000 Euros for
> a minty black OM4T)

Yeah. In that context, it seems fair.

<SNIP>

> >However personally, I look for (other than the usual sign of physical
> >abuse and defects) the right to borrow the camera for a few hours to shoot
> >and develop one slide film ...
> >
> >[...]
> >

> I'll try. There should be no problem, but I don't know if I'm confident
> enough to spot small exposure errors (caused by a faulty metering
> system)...

Ohh, sure you would :) The hard part is to remember which part of the
image you wanted to be "18 0ray" :)

No, you should not really look for "correct exposure" as such, just as you
should not expect such a test-roll to make "fine art". That's not the
exercise - and if your camera is off a constant amount of stops, that can
be adjusted by John, Clint or other such wizzards (If you stick around,
you too will develop an admiration for those two gentlemen I assure you).
The exercise is more to ensure that the spot-metering actually works,
that the highligt and shaddow functions work (and that the buttons
activating them works).

Another thing that this checks is if there are light leaks, stuff in the
film chamber that scratches the film etc. etc. etc.

> >Sometimes the shop asks a reasonable security deposit before taking off
> >for making the test shots. That's only fair. I'd never buy a used camera
> >body from a shop that would not permit that I test it on one film first.
> >(same goes for private sellers - except for those listees I know and
> >trust).
>
> As I already told, this shop as a very good reputation. Anyhow, if the
> owner won't let me take a roll of slides with the OM4Ti, I should think
> about buying that...

You can also look at it this way: if it comes with a 4 months warranty,
ask if you can have one week money-back agreement. That way he gets his
sale (most likely) and you get a chance not to be screwed.

Actually, another thing....is that not a shop where you can bargain down
the price? I've on occation been able to cut a price in half in shops -
anyways, asking won't hurt.

> And now a technical question: I've noticed that the film advance lever
> in the OM1 is very smooth and a pleasure to pull. The same thing should
> not be said of the OM2-SP I have (it just pushes fine until it seems to
> have a block at a given point, just before the end of the race, then
> after that first block, it keeps pushing fine) and neither for the OM4Ti
> I'm about to buy. Is it normal, or should I be aware of something?

The OM1 is in a league of its own, sound, feel and everything. However I
have never really noticed any "roughness" in the film advance mechanism in
any of the 2SP's. I should check that...currently I am at work, and I do
not have any cameras within reach...I know, that is probably more bad
karma my way, but....

> >I think that the difference between the black and the champagne models are
> >just the color. Personally, I think that both are cool...you should really
> >get one of each :)
>
> That will DEFINITELY turn me into a zuikoholic, innit? ;^)

Would be a good start. Actually, I have to confess to not even having one
single OM4Ti of any color. I've got OM4's (that is: the plural form, not a
new model of the OM4...), which have been cheaper and which have (thus
far) avoided the widely exagerated "battery drain" problem.

> >Any time. I look forward to seeing many future postings from you. Please
> >keep us updated on you "quest for the next body".
>
> "quest for the next body"... I like that... It has a mystic sound... ;^)

Yup...I always thought it would make a cool film. I think that it could be
a success too...world-wide it would have at least 500 spectators (= the #
of people on this list).

Cheers

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)