Re: [OM] manipulation

Subject: Re: [OM] manipulation
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 05:52:27 -0500
I think it matters when claiming a work to be that of "art". That is, for the sake of honesty. It is I who knows the intent.

I have "accidently" produced more than a few photos that may (..or may not) have been favorably viewed as "creative works" - or "art" by one person or another - as opposed to "record". But for me to have exhibited them as the intentional use of skills toward a particular creative result would have been fraudulent. They were actually attempts at accurate photgraphic record (within practical limitations of equipment, conditions etc) that uh... didn't quite turn out as I expected.

That is not to say I can not appreciate the appeal of them - but I think clarifying intent is important for the sake of honesty alone. While it could be said that either shooting for record or being creative, are ever precise and exact in the absolute sense - the intent is usually clearly to attain it, one or the other. No rifleman or pistolero ever expects to shoot a single hole with 100 shots, but never the less strains all his (or her) efforts to that particular end.

Cheers,
Lee