RE: [OM] manipulation

Subject: RE: [OM] manipulation
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:35:43 +1000
> Barry B. Bean [mailto:bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Even if you simply set up a camera in the middle of
> a field and set the shutter to go off at random intervals,
> you've already manipulated the outcome by choosing that
> particular field, that particular day, that particular
> focal length, and that particular film.

It's funny, but I was rumenating on that just this morning on
the way to work. Just as we leave the city proper, we go
past Sydney University. Right on Parramatta Road (one of
*the* major arterials into the city, and general a car
park when we're on it), is a little sandstone cottage, with
a 3m hedge (which you can see through) surrounding it. I
"previsualised" taking a photo of it on a misty morning,
from just inside the hedge on the Parramatta Road side,
and getting this lovely, serene scene of old architecture
that could be, and would *seem* to be, in some country
town outside of the city (like Oberon, where we go to
get away from it all, 3 hours west).

Yet, in full context, it's in a pall of exhaust fumes
(maybe that can be my "mist"), as serenely quiet as
a Rock and Roll Wrestling match, and surrounded by
one of the most visually unenticing scenes you can think
of. Take a step back a meter, and you've put all of this
back in, which would turn your "manipulation" of the scene
into reality.

I'll poor-mouth again and say that all of this is coming
from a relative newbie, so please excuse me for covering
ground you may all have heard a million times before (and
feel free to tell me so ;-) ).

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz