Re: [OM] manipulation

Subject: Re: [OM] manipulation
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:06:19 -0700
On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 01:28:18 -0400, Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:

  If you really, truely want to see unmanipulated photos, go to a
big consumer lab and watch the snapshots roll out of the paper processor.

But even then there is manipulation. There is no objectivity in
film. Even if you simply set up a camera in the middle of a field
and set the
shutter to go off at random intervals, you've already manipulated
the outcome by choosing that particular field, that particular day,
that
particular focal length, and that particular film. Throw in the
myriad of automatic decisions made in ANY type of film processing,
and the
end result is always a manipulation of the original image.

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company

To carry it even further, the whole photographic process is
artificial. We see in three dimensions, not two. We don't see in
black and white.  The color we see does not really look like that we
get with film and CCD.  We do not see through a 50mm or 200mm tunnel.
Our field of view does not have black rectangular borders.  We see
through a process of serial addition in our brains because we do not
have a large area of sharp, color vision on our retina.  Photographs
are a complete manipulation of reality. No one, not one, would ever
be fooled that he was seeing reality when seeing a photograph.
Everyone knows it is a photo even when Ansel Adams made it. It is a
total construction that we play along with because we like it.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?