Re: [OM] Dirty shutter curtain metering pattern

Subject: Re: [OM] Dirty shutter curtain metering pattern
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 23:01:15 +0200
>Would this affect the AE very much?  Pictures that I've taken seem to
>have come out OK, but I don't like the idea of not knowing if a shot
>taken in program or with TTL flash will come out OK or not.

Well, the flash fires when the first curtain is no longer over the frame,
so TTL-flash metering is done _always_ off the film (OTF), and a dirty
first curtain will have no effect at all.

Without flash, at high shutter speeds (say, faster than 1/125 or 1/250),
the OM-40 does its auto metering mainly on the curtain itself. However, if
your pictures are OK, I don't think it would be an issue.

Again, when low shutter speeds are used (below 1/30-1/60), most of the
metering is done on the film, not the curtain, so there's nothing to worry
about.

Carlos Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<cjsantis@xxxxxxxx>