Re: [OM] Exposure compensation Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Exposure compensation Question
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 22:50:21 +0200
>One thing I made sure to do was bracket via the exposure
>compensation nob on the body. Soemthing else I was
>doing, and which I realize belatedly was silly was using
>the auto mode.

The exposure compensation knob has the same effect of setting a different
film speed, so it only would vary exposure time in Auto mode.

>So I would take a picture. It would take however many
>seconds. And then I would compensate and would take
>longer or shorter depending on which way I turned the
>knob.

If exposure time was too long (say, more than 2 or 3 minutes), it may be
over the range of the OM-2n, so it exposes for the maximum time, regardless
(between certain limits!) of exposure compensation and/or film speed.

>This time I make sure I
>am in manual. (As it was daylight there wasn't a need
>for long term auto exposure anyway.)

Turning the ASA/exposure compensation knob in Manual _only_ affects the
needle's indications. The only way to change exposure in manual is setting
shutter speed and/or aperture.

>I thought about this awhile and decided that it might
>have something to do with using print film instead of
>slides.

Cartainly.

>So I get slide film. Kodak Elite Chrome 200. I once
>again go to the wooded path scene and try exposure
>control, and await on pins and needles the results. Once
>again there is little or no difference.

With exposure times of several minutes, the reciprocity-failure effect can
reduce differences in exposure.

Regards,

Carlos Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>