RE: [OM] Shipman book

Subject: RE: [OM] Shipman book
From: "Buddy Walters" <BWalters@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:27:53 -0700
A little more info:
Shipman Front Covers:
1979: OM-1, OM-1n, OM02, 0M-2n, OM-10
1981: OM-1n, 0M-2n, OM-10, OM-10 QUARTZ
1982: OM-1n, 0M-2n, OM-10PC, OM-10PC QUARTZ, OM-10, OM-10 QUARTZ
All of these books (79,81,82) have the same covers
1987: OM1n, Om2Sprogram, OM-3, OM-4, OM-4T, OMPC, OM77AF
1988: OM-88, OM77AF, OMPC, OM4, OM-4T, Infinity SuperZoom 300

As far as the "The OM System Lens Handbook" goes, I've sort of keep a
running tab on some of the Olympus pricing sold on eBay and here are the
following prices.  I have no dates but they should be in the last couple
of years, $62, $80, & $62.
I did see one on eBay this past week and starting bid was around $50.00,
I don't think it sold.  It seems like I can remember 3 to 4 years ago
when it was selling for $75.00+.  I know they were very scarce so I
bought the only 2 I ever saw.  I highly recommend it along with a
Shipman 1982 or so and maybe a 1987.

Olympus did very well in the consumer line of 35mm auto focus (IS series
and Stylus) cameras but I think the problem with dealers was the fact
that these cameras were also sold through major retailers.  It made it
hard for the small independent camera stores to support a line that was
competing against them this way.  In the late 1980's and early 1990's I
was told several times by dealers that Olympus had dropped the OM SLR
line completely.  I use to have fun telling them how much I spent in the
last year or so with B&H.  That would usually shut them up.

If you can live without auto-focus and still like to set your own
exposures.  Olympus is still a great camera system.  As far as I know (I
may be corrected here) but everything is still available new.  It just
cost a lot of $'s.

Hope this added a little.
BW