Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:55:25 -0700
on 6/27/02 12:44 AM, Stephan VAN DEN ZEGEL at svandenzegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> two option :
> - you want to scan them once... and use the scans later... means you need
> all the informations. You will need hard disk space (lot of) or a lot of
> CDs... but go for the most "native" format... Tiff is good, and go for the
> highest resolution and no recroping ...
> - you want to have a database archive and you will rescan (with more care)
> the best picture... go for low Jpeg so you can keep all the archive (except
> if you have thousands of slides) on one CD... but the challenge is to keep a
> link between your file and your physical slides...

The best option is to use TIF or PNG, as both are 'loss-less' format. Scan
at the highest possible resolution... you mention 17MB per image. That means
about 36-40 per CDR (how convenient!) I find CDR media available locally for
about $0.10 or less each... not sure what it is in Israel but it can't be
too much more. You need enough hard disk space to store a CD's worth of
images at once (~650MB) then write the CD, verify it, and you could reuse
the hard disk space.

Time is going to be the most costly input into this process, it takes me
about 3-4 minutes to scan a slide and make sure I got what I want. That's
all I use Photoshop for, just to verify the image detail. Don't worry about
the color, as you can correct the TIF or PNG file later. TIF as a format has
been around for a while, and is supported by almost every image processing
program. PNG is newer, but I think it makes smaller files... it too is
likely to be supported in the future. Photoshop's proprietary PSD format
makes you dependent on Photoshop in the future, which might be less
enduring...
--

Jim Brokaw