[OM] Re: archive slide scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning
From: "Benson Honig" <benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:28:56 -0700
I finally broke down and purchased an HP photosmart scanner. I
have a few hundred slides, that I would like to archive onto CD's.
The photosmart came with software that allows saving the files in
various formats, including tif, gif, bmp, pcx, png, fpx, jpg, and tga.
Obviously, the size of file varies. The Tiff files are about 17 MB with
the maximum resolution, for example. Since I don't want to "mess"
with each and every one of these slides now - but simply archive
them -can anyone recommend a good format that would both be
good for future digital darkroom work, as well as for archival
purposes? Is photoshop essential for the initial archiving (I only have
a very very old verson)? Also, any general advice on how best to go
about this process would be appreciated.
Thanks, Benson
********************************
Words are the bridge from wish to reality, they possess the power
to turn thin air into great cities. But be careful, for that bridge can
be traversed in both directions and rather than help build a great city,
they can destroy a beautiful dream.
Benson Honig Ph.D.
University of Haifa
Graduate School of Business