[OM] 1979 price for Zuiko 75-150 zoom

Subject: [OM] 1979 price for Zuiko 75-150 zoom
From: "Andy Gilbert" <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:13:59 +0100
***Original Message***
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:21:08 +1200
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [OM] ( OM ) 1979 price for Zuiko 75-150 zoom

Hi folks,

I have been browsing through a cache of the UK magazine SLR
Photographer, from the 1970s.

Among the finds; the 1979 price for the 75 -150 in the UK was 200 pounds
sterling.

Another point with this journal is that they made fairly frequent
comparisons
of similar lenses made by a wide range of manufacturers.

For example, 85mm;  60-200, and so on. I haven't seen any other journal that
does this.

Brian

>>That's interesting, Brian, I was thinking about this lens after some
discussion lately, and I actually bought  new here in England in late 1979.
I sold a Vivitar Series 1 zoom, a 70-210, to pay for it, AND had 3 monthly
payments to make as well, so it cost me dearly!  The Vivitar was a real
handful, and I subconciously wanted something more in keeping with the OM1 &
OM2 I had at the time.  I remember doing lots of anally retentive research,
such as comparing size, weight, zoom range etc, and decided it was the way
to go.  I never regretted it and though in tests it doesn't seem too
brilliant I used it a great deal, my line up at the time being this plus a
24/2.8 & a 35/2.0.  I've seen many list members asking about it & I think
for the price (I paid GBP 60 for a good example) it can't be beat.  I prefer
the 35-105 now, but it wasn't available then, I think the 75-150 was the
only Zuiko zoom at the time.  I must take it out on a nostalgia shoot soon!
Here's a shot taken with it:  http://www.pbase.com/image/2051575  which I
see doesn't do it justice as Anna is slightly out of focus.  This was the
sort of stuff I used it for at the time, and still do , this is a shot with
the one I own now:   http://www.pbase.com/image/2105398  A great lens.

Andy Gilbert
Exeter
Devon