[OM] OM-PC [was OM2S Fang]

Subject: [OM] OM-PC [was OM2S Fang]
From: Marten Beels <mbeels@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 09:46:16 -0700 (PDT)
Mark Marr-Lyon wrote:

>Is there something about the OM40 that makes it a
better snapshot
camera?

There are a lot of things that I like about the OM40
more then my OM-2n for all photography, not just
snapshooting.  Infact, it might just be my favorite
camera, at least when cost is a consideration.  (Never
used a 3ti...)  Some have already been mentioned, but
here is my list in no particular order:

1)Comfort, the built in grip makes it much easier to
hold and use then my 2n without a winder.  Not to
mention, it is MUCH lighter, without feeling
"plastiky".

2)Sturdy hot shoe, even my non-cracked shoe 4 wobbles
and feels shaky, I wouldn't put anything heavier then
a T-20 on it.  The PC has a very sturdy one that I
don't worry about breaking all the time.

3)You can attach and remove a winder without worrying
about MD caps

4)mirror pre-fire and aperature stop down with self
timer.  Essential for max sharpness with certain lens
and shutter speed combinations.

5)film window, no more wondering if that's K64 or Fuji
400 print in there

6)ESP, I can either let it do its thing if I'm
shooting quickly, or more often, I use it as an alert
that the scene is contrasty and would warrant some
careful metering attention.  When it lights up, I'll
switch to manual and meter parts of the scene
individually to decide what exactly I want to do.

7)I almost never use the Program mode or DX coding at
all, but there are nice to have available.

8)Best of all as someone mentioned earlier, the OM-PC
and Zuiko 35-70 3.5-4.5 is a WONDERFUL combination.
It fits in a Never-ready case, is extremely light, but
best of all, gets great results!

However, I did have to replace the circuit board a few
years ago, that was quite expensive.  Although I'm
careful with all of my photogear, the PC gets some
heavy use, it is my "carry at all times" camera.

Excuse the length of this post, I just wanted to take
this chance and sing the praises of what seems to be
an under appreciated camera.  All it needs is a
mechanical Bulb, spot metering, faster flash sync, and
I'd have my perfect camera.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of risk in getting an
OM-PC, it may have the very high battery drain and I
don't think that new circuits are available anymore.

Marten