Re: [OM] new lens

Subject: Re: [OM] new lens
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:08:21 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Marten Beels wrote:

> Well, there is one less 300 f/4.5 in KEH's warehouse
> now.  One of their bargain condition lenses is on its
> way to my house.  The person I talked to was very
> helpful, he sent a megabyte worth of pictures
> detailing two of the lenses.  It looks really good,
> and it is MC for only $254 with tripod mount.

Congrattulations. The 300/4.5 is a nice piece of glass. I've had lots of
fun with mine. Although sadly, it's mostly been "fun admireing" the lens
since it is really big and heavy and I have not been in the situations
where it was really usefull yet. They are planned, though, so...:)

> BTW, where do you guys find Oly gear in stores?
> Everytime I travel, I check out a few of the local
> photo shops and the only things that I've seen was a
> set of Vivitar auto tubes for $80 (yeah right), a
> couple of beat up 50mm 1.8s, and an occasional off
> brand 28mm or 80-200 zoom.  And I've been to Grand
> Rapids, Fort Wayne, South Bend, Pennsylvania,
> Amsterdam and more!  Usually, the response is
> something like, "Oh, Olympus... you won't find much of
> that anymore."

Well, in Paris where I live, the interresing shops are cleverly hidden
away from the main streets and touristic areas. Basically, I think, any
central location is expensive to rent and the "interresting" shops are
more interrest-driven than profit-driven...so more modest locations are
common. Of course, there are exceptions, but this seems to be a general
rule wherever I have found interresting stuff.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

  E-Mail: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx