Re: [OM] brassing

Subject: Re: [OM] brassing
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:54:41 -0500
At 02:55 PM 6/17/2002 -0700, you wrote:
The term "brassing" refers to the removal of the outer layer of paint (or
finish) to reveal the bare metal underneath, regardless of the kind of
metal. So the damage that removes the anodizing from an Zuiko lens ring and
exposes bare aluminum is still called "brassing."

Once upon a time SLRs had had brass top covers that were painted black for
the "pro" version. If you've ever seen a photo of a NatGeo photog with his
trusty Nikon, you've seen a heavily "brassed" camera, with almost every edge
of the viewfinder and the camera top "laid bare."

Is there an earlier origin for this term? Anybody know?

Yes, there is an old meaning for "brassing", cited in the OED in usage around 1865, which has a different meaning to brassing in the sense that we use it. There it means the process of applying brass, rather than exposing underlying brass through wear and tear. While it's possible the two usages are related, I would guess the latter is strictly modern, slangy, and non-technical. Just a feeling.

Joel W.