Re: [OM] OM2s lag time/winder

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2s lag time/winder
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:30:09 -0700
on 6/17/02 6:09 PM, Wayne Culberson at waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I was playing with a setup trying to get shots of a hummingbird this
> evening. I set up some lilacs and green branches for a background behind the
> feeder, put the 2s on the tripod with 50/1.8 and screw on Oly close-up lens,
> so the lens was about 12 or a little more from the bird. I ran an air
> release cord back through the living room window to trip the shutter when
> the bird had his beak into the feeder.
> Problem: Every time when the hummimgbird heard the click of the
> mirror/shutter, it would flit backwards, I suspect out of the picture. I
> doubt I was catching it, even though it was set to fire at 1/1000 or
> thereabouts. Anyone have any advice for overcoming this? Is the Om1 faster
> than the 2s? The problem with it is it doesn't compensate for changing light
> while you're waiting for the bird to arrive.
> Also, I've never had a winder, but might "need" one. I guess a winder might
> work in this kind of setup so I wouldn't have to run out to advance by hand
> between shots. Email off list if you have one you want to sell.
> Wayne

Wayne - You need to use a winder, then you also should use a telephoto lens
to move the camera back away from the feeder. A 135 or 200 will move the
camera back enough that the shutter click won't spook the hummingbird.

I shot some hummingbird pictures at my folks through the kitchen window (the
feeder is on their patio wall) using a 300... The effort yielded about three
usable pictures, because I was too slow getting to the camera and releasing
the shutter by hand... a remote cord and winder would have probably cured
that. The camera/tripod was about 10 feet from the feeder, and encompassed
an area about 1 x 1.5 feet. I'd estimate the depth of field at about 3-4
inches, the lens was a 300/5.6 mirror on a OM-2s with 400 speed film, I
think the shutter speeds were probably 1/500 or faster, the wings were still
a blur.

Consider setting the camera up on a tripod with a cloth (green?) over it, so
it looks like an odd tree or bush to a bird. You could even use a flash to
freeze the bird, as the distance is known. That would freeze the wings
better than even 1/2000 shutter could. (cue fill-flash thread again... <g>)
I'm going to try this again sometime, with a better setup. I even though
about an electric-eye trigger, so the birds would trigger the camera
themselves, but I don't have that equipment...
--

Jim Brokaw