Re: AW: [OM] B&W advice

Subject: Re: AW: [OM] B&W advice
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:39:53 -0700

Jochen wrote:

What about this? ;-)
http://www.schiffler.net/foto/images/karena.jpg

Honestly, your perfectly right. The further you travel back in time the more
intriguing the buildings/constructions get.
I sometimes wonder if the Cologne Dom was built by humans. Nearly 160 meters
high, thousands of tons of stone and they built it without electrical energy
or engines.
http://www.schiffler.net/foto/specials/koe_bei_n8/pages/domnah.htm
This shot is not my own (Copyright Helicolor-Luftbild, no connection):
http://www.helicolor-luftbild.de/Willkommen/Galerie_2/Gal_koelnerDom.jpg

Or even further back in time (no, not my shot):
http://www.sph.emory.edu/GCCS/intlphotos/pyramids.jpg

The interesting part, happily demonstrated by your examples, is there
has been architectural progress toward enclosing a larger more useful
space at smaller sacrifice of the entire community. Tomb for a god -
large portion of kingdom involved for decades. Cathedral - most of
town involved for decades, sometimes more than a century. Modern
structure lots of useful space built in a couple of years at no great
sacrifice to anyone.

I am sure that there were complaints about the flimsiness of gothic
cathedrals compared to sturdy rockpiles of the romanesque style that
preceded them. My goodness you need buttresses to keep the walls from
falling down which, of course, misses the whole point.  A light
useful building is a demonstration of our skill as well. Or as
someone is reputed to have said that there is more skill and
engineering in building a really good inexpensive car than in
building a really good expensive one.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California