Re: [OM] Major Film scanner question/advice needed

Subject: Re: [OM] Major Film scanner question/advice needed
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:16:13 -0700
on 6/13/02 8:19 AM, William Clark at wclark@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hey all
>
> I know there are a bunch of list members out there who have film scanners so
> hopefully the advice will be "fast and furious".  My parents have just gone
> though all their junk and found old negs.  Format include 16mm (small square
> neg) and the "large" 120 format (i.e. the big square negs).  Is there a film
> scanner out there that will do these (i.e., a variety of scanning trays to
> take different negatives.).  The only one I can see with this versatility is
> the Nikon Coolscan 8000 ED, which is $4000 Canadian!!!!  Maybe a flatbed
> scanner with a TMA?  Any advice is most appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -Bill

The smaller 16mm negatives won't be any problem to scan with a 35mm format
scanner, but the higher resolution the better. The only issue will be
holding them in place, and that can probably be jury-rigged using a 35mm
frame negative holder. The 120-size negatives won't fit a 35mm scanner, and
the 120-size film scanners with high resolution are all quite expensive.
Flatbed scanners (Epson's 2450 was recently mentioned here...) sometimes
come with 'transparency adapters' (which will work for negatives), but their
resolution is not as high as a film scanner. Because the 120 negatives are
larger, the flatbed scanner -might- be 'good enough' resolution where it
would be a low resolution for the 35mm and 16mm negatives.

The economics of it are such that you can buy *both* the 35mm film scanner
*and* the flatbed Epson for *much* less than a 120 size film scanner.
--

Jim Brokaw