Re: AW: [OM] the downside of a ball head...

Subject: Re: AW: [OM] the downside of a ball head...
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:59:55 -0400
At 09:25 PM 6/12/02 +0200, Jochen Schiffler wrote:

What about friction control?
I have not used a ball head yet but shouldn't friction control prevent the
camera and lens from tipping over (too fast)?
Sure, not every BH has this feature but if you think you might need it, it's
available.

I consider buying a BH and thought it would be more convenient and flexible
compared to my current video like tripod head.
Or is tipping over such a big issue? Any other comments on that?

Hi Jochen,

Tipping isn't a problem with the higher end ball heads. I use an Arca-Swiss B1 and it has a pre-load adjustment that can be easily set for the camera/lens combination that's being used at the time. Once the pre-load is set you can turn the locking knob counter-clockwise to the stop and the camera can be easily positioned but will hold that position when released. Turn the locking knob ~1/4 turn clockwise and the ball head is locked down solid. The interesting thing is that the force required to lock the head doesn't increase as you turn the knob that 1/4 turn. It's very smooth from pre-load to locked. I'm sure that the 405/410 series of heads are great for the proper application but I can't imagine how they could be as convenient as the Arca-Swiss for landscapes and macro applications such as shooting flowers.

Later,
Johnny