[OM] OM 4 Auto - Shutter speeds

Subject: [OM] OM 4 Auto - Shutter speeds
From: "Angel Lobo" <angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:40:32 +0200
My question concerning the shutter speeds of OM 4 on auto mode is very
simple:

If the row of bars is halfway between 1/125s and 1/250s, can the camera work
on 1/180s or 1/215s, for instance ?

I guess the answer is " NO ".

Maybe some people can be surprised with this question and this answer?

When I have buy my first OM 4 (1987) I have check this matter and the slides
are always sub or over exposed. I work always on Manual mode, so on that
time I have forget this matter. Some days ago I have tested my OM 4 camera
one more time shooting on Auto mode with the bars halfway between 125 and
250 and shooting the same picture on Manual mode with ex. exposure. The
slide on Manual mode has perfect exposure and the slide on Auto mode is 1/2
stop sub exposed.

(I have not tested this with the OM4 Ti).

I have never read nothing concerning this matter on the Oly List and I think
it is a big question because the OM 4 is a modern and high rated camera. We
can not forget that some other OM cameras as OM 10, 20 or OM 2 can shoot on
every speed from 1s to 1/1000s.
The manuals of the cameras are nor very clear on this, but the books of Carl
Shipman (and other books) say:
Shutter speeds: OM2n  -Auto- 1/1000 to 120 sec. ""steepless"".
Shutter speeds: OM 4   -Auto- 1/2000 to 1min. (4min.-spot).

I have never read anywhere the OM 4 Auto speeds range are "Steepless".

Thanks in advance.

Ángel Lobo.
CUENCA  ( Spain ).