RE: [OM] Irradiated mounted slides

Subject: RE: [OM] Irradiated mounted slides
From: "Mike Cormier" <ronaldcormier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:39:52 -0400
Ok... so should I be worrying about shipping gear in the mail? For example, wuold this bombardment technique destroy the chemicals that make up lens coatings? What about circuitry in bodies & winders? Will this bombardment decompose the prism foam in my OM's?????????

SNIP

It's *not* microwave and it's *not* X-Ray (which won't kill certain types
of spores and other biological weapons).  It's electron beam
bombardment.  This is not simple electro-magnetic radiation.  This is high
energy particle **bombardment** that blows chemical compounds (molecules)
into pieces (elements and smaller molecules).  Think in terms of an atomic
version of a heavy, very large bore machine gun.  Especially susceptible
are long organic molecular chains because of their size and fragility when
bombarded by atomic particles (what do you think causes radiation
sickness?  similar atomic particle bombardment and it has the same
effect).  Since polymers are also long chains it also rips them to shreds,
and since it's electrons with the associated high energy electro-magnetic
fields around them, it is also highly destructive to micro-electronics.

SNIP