Re: [OM] Fast transparency film

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast transparency film
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 07:23:11 -0500
At 09:11 AM 6/10/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>And Sensia 100 looks noticeably grainer
>that Provia 100-F.

BTW
When changing films I recently did a shot of the same (outstandingly
boring) subject to compare Sensia 100 and Provia 100F.
I also noticed an obvious magenta shift with the Sensia.
The scene includes blue sky, green trees, a red car and yellowish
sand/dirt.
The magenta/red shift was most clearly visible in the dirt which seems
way more natural with the Provia.

I can put the images on my webpage if anybody thinks this may be
interesting (it´s not a scientific test).

Jochen Schiffler

P.S.: This is my first contribution to this amazingly active list

It's good to hear from you, Jochen!

I notice color predominance in films as a result of scanning as much as anything. I use Silverfast, which seems to render the color palette even in Auto-Adjust mode without reorganizing colors as significantly as Vuescan does in White Balance mode or Auto. In other words, the scan ends up looking more like the slide on the light bench, for good or ill (permitting of course lots of post-scan adjustments to one's taste).

I've noted that my present favorite fast slide film, Pro Ektachrome E200, always has a cool blue-magenta bias which typically needs a little warming up. Auto levels or auto curves adjustments often transform the color palette in bizarre ways, and one loses the characteristic "look" of the film, though sometimes the appearance is "better." I wonder about all this as I ponder the day when an all digital system removes these flavors that different films provide.

Joel W.