Re: [OM] Fast transparency film

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast transparency film
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 01:07:23 +0200
Hi, Donald.

I don't like Kodachrome 200 either. I believe it has about the same
sharpness of the 25 and 64 versions, but with much more grain -- although
not bad in absolute terms, I compare it mentally with K-25 because of the
similar sharpness, so K-200 looks horrible!

Kodak Ektachrome E-200 and its amateur sibling (Elite Chrome 200) are very
nice films. It's possible to push them 2 stops, but Kodak recommends to
expose at EI 640 (instead of the expected 800). At that speed, maximum
density is lower and shifts to red-magenta -- the pro version is better at
this respect. However, pictures are always nice, with moderate grain and
contrast. I use them very much for astrophotography -- they make really
beautiful pictures of nebulae ;-)

Fuji Provia 100-F is my high-quality slide film -- I no longer use Kodak
E100S, which I liked very much. Provia pushes well, with excellent colour
balance, but at push 2 contrast is slightly harsh ("where's the Gamma
slider?" :-) with somewhat dark shadows, so it's a good idea to rate it at
EI 320. Grain is worse than without pushing, but still outstanding for the
speed.

If you want normal processing, my vote goes to Fuji Provia 400-F (and also
Sensia 400). You may even want to expose them at EI 500. Grain is very fine
for that speed, but worse than the pushed Provia 100-F. You can push them
to EI 1600 with good results -- my main film for astrophotography.

I don't recommend Sensia 200 -- nearly the same grain of 400, with worse
colour balance. And Sensia 100 looks noticeably grainer that Provia 100-F.

Carlos Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<cjsantis@xxxxxxxx>