Re: [OM] ( OM ) Contrast

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Contrast
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 17:49:39 -0700
Maybe they are not looking at the world directly through their Zuikos :-D .

Seriously, I think your analogy is flawed. The lens is just one part of a chain of things and processes that result in an image to be viewed. Each part of the chain has its own flaws and, more importantly, different photographers want different things in the final images. There are at least a couple of reasons a photographer might prefer a less contrasty lens for at least some uses:

Too much contrast at multiple stages of the image chain can be a problem. Use a contrasty lens with contrasty film with sun and sand or snow and it's problematic to capture any highlight and shadow detail.

Photographs of faces tend to be more flattering (and, many would say, more realistic) with less contrasty images. Lower contrast is not uncommonly accompanied with at least slightly lower resolution, which is also pleasing in many portraits. There is a significant subjective difference between a sharp lens slightly out of focus, which is annoying, and a correctly focused lens which isn't super sharp, which is often quite pleasing, esp. in portraits. Note that you spoke mostly about focus in your comments. The separately measureable characteristics of resolution and contrast are not separate, but interactive, in human seeing.

We don't all see things the same way. To give an example for another of our senses: Many years ago, I had the opportunity to taste wines in the private tasting room of a premier Napa Valley winery with their chief vintner. He told us about the wife of one of the valley's most famous winemakers. Her pallete (or her understanding of how the words used relate to the physical sensations of taste) was very differently calibrated (his description was less kind) than most people in the business. She claimed to like dry wines, but hated wines others called dry, so everybody in the valley knew you served her medium to almost sweet wines, told her they were dry, and everybody was happy. Apparently, no gathering where she was unhappy was happy for anyone else there either!

So, if I find that a particular lens, coupled with the other parts of my particular image chain, results in prints and/or slides that particularly please me, why wouldn't I continue to value and use that lens, whatever its measured specifications? AG is even more pragmatic. He has said many times that he simply gets more reprint orders and thus makes more money with people pics taken with his venerable 100/2.8. Obviously people like pictures made with it, so who cares if it may be less contrasty than some other lens.

Although most of my lenses are multicoated and presumeably reasonably contrasty, I prefer a relatively low contrast image on film. Low contrast means more total range of image brightness can be recorded within the range from most to least transparent that the film can record. Lower contrast also makes it easier to scan the film and get as much brightness info as possible into the digital image. Since I scan any important images (film, not prints) and can adjust contrast and which part of the origianl brightness range is in the final print, lower conttrast on film is better for my use.

By the way, have you tried anti-reflection coating on your glasses? It makes a quite worthwhile difference. I have Pentax AF Progresive lenses which come with anti-reflective coating. I got some regular progressives once when the optometrist made a mistake. They said I could have them for the same price as the cheap bifocals I had ordered. I was back the next day to have them make what I had ordered. I hated the lenses. These high end progressives are a whole different thing. The lenses alone cost me $300 US and were only manufactured in Japan, so it took a couple of weeks, but it's all worth it. Now i just wear one pair all the time for everything and things are always in focus. Very cool.

Moose

Brian Swale wrote:

Hi Folks,

It usually puzzles me to see several well-respected Zuikoholics write that they prefer lenses that deliver less rather than more, contrast.

I just don't understand it.