Re: [OM] ( OM ) Contrast

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Contrast
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:50:15 -0700
Brian said:

Hi Folks,

It usually puzzles me to see several well-respected Zuikoholics write that
they prefer lenses that deliver less rather than more, contrast.

I just don't understand it.

I kind of agree, myself. I can understand reducing contrast for an esthetic purpose, but it seems to me that is probably better taken care of with the choice of film or processing manipulation. However manufacturers still successfully sell soft focus lenses and filters. Lenses, as far as I am aware, cannot make the contrast range of the subject greater in the focused image, i.e., it can only focus what is there. I think lowered contrast then is caused by a less capable lens where light is scattered from the light parts into the dark parts of the image, and could be then considered an aberration. I can understand though how some people are comfortable with a certain rendition with their normal film and lens combination, but for certain purposes they can get a different "look" by just changing lenses. It may be more subtle and preferable to other ways of varying the image.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?