Re: [OM] best of both world? A M42 mount adapter?

Subject: Re: [OM] best of both world? A M42 mount adapter?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 13:22:03 -0700
> On Friday, June 07, 2002 at 0:02, Richard F. Man
> <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote re "[OM] best of both world? A M42 mount adapter?" saying:
>
>> If the fabled Leica glass is so nice, has anyone use a M42 to OM adapter?
>> They have one on ebay for BIN of $99. I know you will lose the no-mirror
>> advantage of a RF, but still....

Leica is a 39mm thread, sometimes called LTM. The M42 was for the old Pentax
Spotmatic and similar screw-mount SLR lenses, although I think M42 might
have first been used by Practika (I know I'm not spelling that right...) its
usually called the Pentax screw-mount. There are a lot of old lenses out
there for the mount, but I think all the old original M42 lenses are only
stop-down metering, even on M42 cameras. The lens only has one pin, to stop
the aperture down, so the meter can't know the aperture setting unless you
stop the lens down.

I don't know if Olympus ever made an adapter for LTM to OM mount. Other than
the aperture issue, there might be body-focus problems too...
--

Jim Brokaw