Re: [OM] OM Centerweight Metering Patterns

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Centerweight Metering Patterns
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 14:41:58 -0700
Careful there, the spot mode on the 2SP only works in manual mode, while Automatic and Program modes are averaging. It's an either/or camera, manual/spot or auto/average, but no mix and match. Since you say your problem is in auto mode, the 2SP won't help. The OM-4 has both with both.

The earliest production of the OM-2 had a sort of center weighting favoring a central horizontal band. See <http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/om2-curtains.shtml> The pattern on OM-4 looks like the later OM-2 pattern. The OM-10 and G(20) have a very different pattern which is shiny on the sides and black in a vertical center band. Either they are edge weighted or, most likely, there is a reversal in the metering system and they are pretty strongly center weighted. The closest thing to what you are asking for in the OM world is the ESP metering mode in the OM-PC(40). This is an early form of matrix metering designed specifically to address the kind of problem you raise. Take a look at the manual .pdf from eSIF for photo examples. Put it in Program and ESP and all you have to do is focus.

Of course, you could train yourself to think about lighting, since it is the core of photography, and give that spot meter button a push when it needs it. It really is a wonderful metering system.

Moose

Richard F. Man wrote:

I am a doofus. Here I have the most sophisticated multi-spot camera, and I still get fooled by careless use of automatic mode (no spot) in backlight situations, especially when I am in a hurry. As I understand it, the OM-2SP has a "continuous" spot mode, which I take it to mean that it's taking the metering on the center spot constantly.

Barring that, are the (centerweight) metering patterns similar across all the single digit OMs? Any of them have a narrower pattern than the OM-4/T?